Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Catalonia is NOT Spain



So I realize I mentioned "the real Spain" in my last post and thought I might elaborate just a bit about how much Catalonia, the north east portion of Spain, really does not consider themselves part of Spain. If it was up to many of the residents, Catalan would be the official language and Catalonia its own country. Catalonian pride is everywhere in the region, the people, the language, the food, the streets, the art, etc. Just the other day I was corrected three times while interviewing locals for a class project and writing down EspaƱola for their nationality, "No, hazlo Catalan".... "make that Catalan." I don't go anywhere without seeing some sign for independence whether blatantly graffitied on a wall or etched into the blue plastic seat on the metro. The Catalonians want their independence back and won't lower their noses until the get it.




Though not Catalonia, Basque Country (Where I was while in San Sebastian) shares similar sentiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment